VOLUNTEER WITH COMMUNITIES IN SCHOOLS
Volunteering with Communities In Schools is an excellent way to give back to local Georgia communities and the state office (CIS of Georgia). You can make a difference in the lives of the at risk kids we serve (more than 125,000).
If you have just one hour to spare during the week, you can help by mentoring and/or tutoring a child at one of our local affiliate sites or Performance Learning Centers®. Each of our local affiliates have many volunteer opportunities.
Specific opportunities within the state office can be found below:
You can also become a local judge during our annual Student Achievement Month (SAM) contest.
SAM is designed to help at-risk students set and achieve new goals, gain confidence, and understand the importance of succeeding in school. It also provides an opportunity for youth to assume responsibility for self-improvement and self-discipline. Students chose one of four categories (public speaking, written expression, computer technology, and creative expression) to depict how CIS has made a difference in their lives. The contest is open to students who receive CIS services through our local affiliates. For a listing of local affiliates. Below are more specifics regarding SAM volunteer opportunities.
Student Achievement Month Volunteer Opportunities
- Work with local affiliates to help students review entries and ensure they understand the guidelines and are adhering to them
- Assist local affiliates with the local celebratory events, including working with our sponsors to provide food, paper and utensil items, decorations, etc.
- Assist local affiliates obtain business and civic leaders as judges
- Assist local affiliates with the logistics of the SAM judging
- Assisting local affiliates with media opportunities for the local winners with their local legislators, local superintendent/school board members
- Assist local affiliates with media opportunities for the regional winners
- Assist local affiliates with media opportunities for the state winners
- Assist the state office with the logistics of the state contest judging and planning/executing the celebratory event
To volunteer for SAM please e-mail printern(at)cisgeorgia.org.
Dine Out For Kids (DOFK) engages restaurateurs and others in a giving way that is affordable. The fundraiser benefits CIS. Contributions help participating local affiliates increase graduation rates by providing kids with more mentoring, tutoring, literacy, youth leadership, and after school programs.
Dine Out For Kids ® Volunteer Opportunities
- Help with the logistics and planning of the event
- Help to obtain restaurants/sponsors
- Help take photographs for marketing purposes
- Help spread the word through social media channels.
To volunteer with DOFK please e-mail printern(at)cisgeorgia.org.